FY 2015/2016 Low-Income Energy Programs
Federal | State | Utilities | Charitable


LIHEAP Contact
Public Inquiries: 1-866-432-8947

Local LIHEAP Administering Agency Contacts

Weatherization Assistance Program
Local Administering Agency Contacts

LIHEAP FY 2016 Funding
$91,666,854 (Initial CR Release)

LIHEAP Income Eligibility Level
60% State Median Income

LIHEAP FY 2016 Benefit
Heating:$30 mimimum, $1,347 maximum
Crisis: $1,200 maximum

LIHEAP Households Served in FY 2014
Heating: 224,734
Cooling: 0
Winter/Year-round Crisis: 28,470
Summer Crisis: 0

LIHEAP Program Dates
Heating: October 1 – May 15
Crisis: Year-round
Weatherization: July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017


Low-Income Energy Efficiency Assistance

Focus On Energy is a public-private partnership offering energy information and services to energy utility customers throughout Wisconsin. The Targeted Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program assists Wisconsin residents in making energy efficiency improvements to their homes. Wisconsin residents who receive their electricity from a participating utility, and who meet the income requirements, are eligible to participate. Depending on results from a home energy assessment, energy efficiency measures may include insulation, sealing air leaks, heating system update or energy saving devices. Visit the Focus on Energy website for more information or an application or call 800-762-7077 to receive an application.


The PBF legislation also requires municipal electric utilities and electric cooperatives to collect fees annually per customer, with half of the funds collected going to low-income programs. Many municipals and co-ops retain the fees for their own internal low-income/weatherization programs. If approved for LIHEAP, customers of some municipals and co-ops can receive bill credits, home energy efficiency measures or refrigerator replacements.

Cedarburg Light & Water Utility
Energy Assistance Program

Jefferson Utilities
Energy Assistance Program
Funded with the portion of Public Benefits dollars specifically set aside for income-qualifying individuals and families, in the form of a credit on your electric bill. Establish income eligibility through the federally funded Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP). To learn more about the WHEAP application process, customers should contact Energy Services in Fort Atkinson at 568-0604. If approved for WHEAP, you will receive more information about your eligibility for our Energy Assistance Program at that time.

Manitowoc Public Utilities

Menasha Utilities

New Holstein Utilities
Energy Assistance Program
Establish income eligibility through the federally funded Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP). To learn more about the WHEAP application process, customers should contact Calumet County Social Services (920) 849-1400.

New Richmond Utilities
Energy Assistance Program
Establish eligibility through WHEAP. Customers should contact St. Croix County Social Services located at the New Richmond Health Center, 715-246-8257. If approved for WHEAP, you will receive more information about your eligibility for New Richmond Utilities' Energy Assistance Program.

Oconomowoc Utilities

Plymouth Utilities
Energy Assistance Program
Home Weatherization Program
Establish income eligibility through the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP). Contact Sheboygan County Health and Human Services at 920-459-6400. Or, for more information submit a form online or call 920-573-0155.

River Falls Municipal Utilities
Customer Credit Program
To qualify for the program you must verify through the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) that your gross household income from the last three months falls within the eligibility guidelines. To verify WHEAP eligibility, contact St. Croix County Social Services, 715-246-8257 or Pierce County Social Services, 715-273-6788
Call 715-425-0906 for more information

St Croix Electric
Commitment to Community
Public benefit funds are used for credits on eligible customer's bills; weatherization services including insulation, caulking and window replacement; furnace and water heater upgrades and appliance and lighting replacements.
St. Croix Human Services, 715-246-6991

Sun Prairie Water & Light
Energy Assistance Program
If you believe you may qualify, first establish your income eligibility through the federally funded Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP). To learn more about the WHEAP application process, contact Dane County Human Services at 608-242-6200. If approved for WHEAP, you will receive more information about your eligibility for our Energy Assistance Program at that time.

Waupun Utilities

Emergency Charitable Assistance

Please note these charitable funds are last resort emergency funds with limited resources and limited times of operation.

Keep Wisconsin Warm/Cool Fund (KWW/CF)
KWW/CF is a voluntary, community-based program designed to fill the need for energy assistance to low income people. The KWW/CF is funded by businesses (including utilities) and individual contributions. Eligibility has increased to 80% of state median income for 2014 due to high propane prices. Contact your county's Energy Assistance office to make an appointment to apply for KWW/CF. For questions or additional information contact the Keep Wisconsin Warm/Cool Fund office at: 1-800-891-9276.

Alliant Energy
Hometown Care Energy Fund
Customer donations help low-income families heat their homes during the winter. Funds are administered through regional community action programs.

Madison Gas and Electric
Energy Fund
Donations come from MGE customers, shareholders and employees assists families and individuals who find it impossible to cover basic living costs. The difficulties may come from medical bills, job loss or other emergencies. They may live on a fixed income or work for low hourly rates. A nonprofit agency distributes the money.
608-252-7222, 1-800-245-1125, TDD 608-252-4777

Adams-Columbia Electric Cooperative
Operation Round Up
Member donations provide funds for emergency assistance following natural disasters, youth programs, civic projects and more. Individuals and community service organizations are encouraged to apply for donations. Application forms are available at the co-op's three service centers.
Friendship 608-339-3346 or 800-831-8629
Pardeeville 608-429-9300 or 800-851-4872
Wautoma 920-787-3311 or 800-526-4775

Chippewa Valley Electric Cooperative
Operation Round Up® - Chippewa Valley Community Fund, Inc.
Member contributions are used to assist local individuals and nonprofit organizations with crucial needs. Such needs may include: equipment for fire, ambulance, or rescue squads; hospice programs; youth programs; food shelves; clothing, shelter or medical services following an accident or storm.
715-239-6800 or 1-800-300-6800

Menasha Utilities
Project Share Fund
Menasha customers who are willing to assist local families facing emergency situations with their energy bills may designate a monthly or annual option to contribute to the Project Share Fund. All disbursements from the Project Share Fund are authorized from LEAVEN, a non-profit United Way agency.
920-967-5263 or Cellular 901-8889

Oakdale Electric Cooperative
Operation Round-Up®
Funded by cooperative members, the Oakdale Electric Trust Fund provides assistance to individuals and community service organizations. The fund was established to support local charities, individuals and families in the community.
608-372-4131 or 1-800-241-2468

Scenic Rivers Energy Cooperative
Operation Round-Up
Members contributions are distributed to individuals and organizations to address crucial needs such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care and education. To apply for these funds, interested applicants must request an application form, complete it and return it to the Cooperative. Applications are also available online.
608-723-2121 or 1-800-236-2141

Page last updated: November 9, 2015