FY 2015/2016 Low-Income Energy Programs
Federal | State | Utility | Charitable


LIHEAP Contact
Website: http://liheap.commerce.wa.gov/

Local LIHEAP Administering Agency Contacts

Weatherization Assistance Program
Local Administering Agency Contacts

LIHEAP FY 2016 Funding (including tribal awards)
$52,566,112 (Initial CR Release)

LIHEAP Income Eligibility Level
125 % Federal Poverty Level
Weatherization: 60% State Median Income

LIHEAP FY 2016 Benefit
Heating: $25 minimum, $1,000 maximum
Crisis: $1,000

LIHEAP Households Served in FY 2014
Heating: 57,514
Cooling: 0
Winter/Year-round Crisis: 15,127
Summer Crisis: 0

LIHEAP Program Dates
Heating: October 1 - June 30
Crisis: October 1 - March 15
Weatherization: Year-round


Low-Income Energy Efficiency

Energy Matchmaker
State general funds go to "Energy Matchmaker" program and are matched by local, utility and other funds. Measures included attic, wall and floor insulation, weatherstripping and furnace modifications. For more information contact your local community action agency.


Low-Income Rate Assistance

All of the utilities and Public Utility Districts listed below provide rate discounts for low-income, seniors or disabled customers. Discounts range from 5% to 40% of a customer's utility bill.

Tacoma Public Utilities

Seattle City Light

AVISTA Utilities

Benton Co. PUD
Low-Income Senior and Disabled Discount
A 15 percent discount is available to qualified customers with an annual household income that is 100 percent to 175 percent of the federal poverty level. A 20 percent discount is available for customers with an income that is less than 100 percent of the federal poverty level. Customers must be 62 years of age for the Senior Low Income discount. The Disabled Low Income discount is available to customers that have a member in the household who is disabled. To apply, call the Benton Franklin Community Action Committee at 509-545-4065. Applications are also available on the PUD's website.

Chelan County PUD
Rate Discount
Low-income senior citizens and disabled customers may be eligible for a discount on their electric bills.
Wenatchee (PUD Headquarters) 509-663-8121
Chelan 509-682-2581
Leavenworth 509-548 -7761

City of Port Angeles
Pass the Buck
The City of Port Angeles has a voluntary contribution utility assistance program called PASS THE BUCK, which provides funds to help those in need pay their electric bills in emergency situations. This program assists qualified low-income residential customers in paying their utility bills. The PASS THE BUCK program is entirely funded from voluntary' contributions

City of Richland
Low-Income Rate Discounts
Low-income seniors (age 62) and low-income disabled customers receive a variety of utility services at discounted rates. Eligibility: household income is less than 125% of the poverty level. More information and application form is available on the website.

Clallam County PUD
Contact any PUD office http://www.clallampud.net/contact-uslocations-2/ for an application or call 1-800-542-7859

Clark Co. PUD
360-992-3000 or e-mail us

Columbia Rural Electric Association

Senior Citizen Discount
Seniors 65 or older with income less than or equal to 150% of federal poverty guidelines may be eligible for a rate discount.
509-382-2578 Dayton or 1-800-642-1231

Cowlitz County PUD

Ferry County PUD
Low-Income Senior Discount
To qualify for a discount on your electric utility bill for your primary residence, you must be 62 years or older and meet income level requirements. For additional information contact Joyce Dunn at jdunn@fcpud.com.
www.fcpud.com/customer%20service.htm#Low Income Senior Discount

Franklin PUD

Grays Harbor PUD

Klickitat PUD
Low Income Senior Discount
Low income seniors, 62 and over, may apply annually for the senior discount at Klickitat County Senior Services. Qualified seniors receive between and 5% and 35% off their winter bills. For more information about this program you can contact them directly at 800-447-7858.

Mason County PUD

Pacific Co. PUD
Low Income Senior and Disabled Discount
Seniors (62 and over) and disabled customers who fall within the federal poverty guidelines may qualify for a discount of up to 40% of the electric bill. Applications must be renewed annually and are available at P.U.D. offices.
Long Beach office 360-642-3191
Raymond office 360-942-2411
Naselle 360-484-7454

Pacific Power
Low-Income Bill Assistance
A three-tiered bill discount based on income is available during the heating months of November through April. Monthly billings include a discount on each kWh of usage over 600 kWh. Contact your local community action agency:

Columbia, Garfield, Walla Walla
Blue Mountain Action Council

Yakima County - South of Union Gap
Northwest Community Action Center

Yakima County - North of Union Gap
Yakima Valley OIC

Peninsula Light Company
Senior and Disabled Discount
Discounts of 25% are available to income eligible seniors, 62 or older, and disabled customers. Applications are on the website.
253-857-5950 or 1-888-809-8021

Puget Sound
Provides additional bill-payment assistance (beyond the federal LIHEAP program) to qualified PSE customers. Eligible customers can receive credits to lower their electricity or natural-gas bills.
Contact a local agency for assistance.
1-888-225-5773 ; TTY 1-800-962-9498

Snohomish Co. PUD
Senior and Low-Income Discounts
Year-round discounts of 20 percent, 40 percent, or 60 percent off electric bills, depending on income level. Low-income customers at or below 125% federal poverty level and seniors, 62 or older, with income less than $27,792. Applications are available online or at any PUD office, most senior citizen centers, or by calling the utility’s customer service department.
425-783-1000 or 1-877-783-1000

Low-Income Energy Efficiency

Pacific Power
Works with local agencies to provide free weatherization services to income-qualifying homeowners and renters living in single-family homes, mobile home or apartments. Based on the home's needs, a variety of measures can be installed, including insulation, energy-efficiency showerheads, compact fluorescent light bulbs and more. Please call the community agency in your area to learn more and to apply:


Seattle Office of Housing
HomeWise Weatherization
Weatherization grants can insulate single family homes with low-income households as well as
apartment buildings that qualify. After an energy analysis of your home is performed, an energy conservation package, which includes insulation, venting, weatherstripping, and more, will be installed. Call 206-684-0244 for more information or application.

Chelan County PUD
Through a combination of state and District funds, the Chelan-Douglas Community Action Council weatherizes low-income homes.
Wenatchee (PUD Headquarters) 509-663-8121
Chelan 509-682-2581
Leavenworth 509-548 -7761

Cowlitz County Public Utility District
Residential Weatherization Conservation
Cowlitz PUD’s residential energy conservation program is being revised and will be available again to qualified customers later this summer. Once the program is up-and-running, the website will be updated with the pertinent information. If you have any specific questions, please contact our Energy Conservation Department at (360) 577-7514 or (800) 631-1131.

Douglas PUD
Douglas PUD has participated in the Washington State Department of Community Development’s Energy Matchmaker Low Income Weatherization Program through the Chelan-Douglas Community Action Council since 1988. The program utilizes matching funds to weatherize houses for low-income residents of Douglas County.
509-884-7191 or 1-800-503-7990

Puget Sound Energy
Services may include installing insulation, lighting and refrigerator replacement. Local low-income agencies can provide information on the free services available and qualification requirements for participants.
Contact your local low-income agency for assistance.
1-888-225-5773; TTY 1-800-962-9498

Emergency Charitable Assistance

Please note these charitable funds are last resort emergency funds with limited resources and limited times of operation.

Project Share
Project Share is a community program supported by shareholders, customers and employees. The funds are forwarded to community action agencies, which work with each family. Grants are available to those in need without regard to their heating source. Contact your local community action agency.

Pacific Power
Project HELP
Pacific Power matches customer donations dollar-for-dollar to Project HELP.
Yakima, 509-453-3139
Walla Walla, 509-529-9470
Sunnyside/Toppenish, 509-865-4151

Tacoma Power
Family Need
An assistance program for income-qualified households that have permanent electric heat. Contact a local agency listed below.
Metropolitan Development Council, 253-572-5557 (City of Tacoma Residents)
Pierce County Community Services, 1-855-798-4328 (outside the city)

Seattle City Light
Project SHARE
A program for customers who have received an urgent notice and have taken advantage of all the other assistance programs. Funded by customer donations, it will pay up to $500 of your electric bill. Customers must be referred by Seattle City Light Customer Service. For more information call 206-684-3000.

Cascade Natural Gas
Winter Help
Because of illness, loss of employment or other crises, some households have difficulty paying their heating bills. Funded through donations from Cascade Natural Gas customers, Winter Help funds are designed to help customers with temporary heating emergencies.
Contact local agency.

Chelan PUD
Helping Hands
The Chelan/Douglas Community Action selects qualified families for the program, 509-662-6156. 
Wenatchee (PUD Headquarters) 509-663-8121
Chelan 509-682-2581
Leavenworth 509-548 -7761

City of Port Angeles
Pass the Buck
Funded by voluntary donations and assists low-income city residents with their utility bills. The Olympic Community Action Council determines eligibility and assists recipients through a screening process.
North Olympic Community Action Council, 540 East 8th Street, 452-4726

City of Richland
Helping Hands
Customer donations to help other customers in a time of need. A one-time payment of up to $100 helps another customer pay his/her utility bill when they do not have other means to pay. This program is managed by the Benton Franklin Community Action Council.

Clallam County PUD
Neighborly Assistance Program
Customer donations provide funds to qualified low-income residential customers to assist them in paying their electricity bills. Contributions are administered by the local Community Action Council. Contact your PUD office at http://www.clallampud.net/contact-uslocations-2/

Clark County PUD
Operation Warm Heart
Fuel assistance program that helps pay home heating bills for the elderly, the ill... for all who face financial hardships from unemployment or family crisis. It pays for any heating source: oil, gas, kerosene, wood, and electricity.

Cowlitz County PUD

Elmhurst Mutual Power & Light
Shine a Light
Customer donations provide emergency financial assistance to qualified, low-income customers struggling to pay their electric bills .Administered by the Salvation Army.

Ferry County PUD
Project Share
A heating assistance program. Contact Jayne at jjurgensen@fcpud.com for agency names and numbers or for more details.

Franklin PUD
Helping Hands
The Helping Hands program is designed to assist Franklin PUD customers in need. Customer donations fund the program which is administered by the Community Action Committee.
1-800-638-7701 or 509-547-5591

Grant Co. PUD
Share the Warmth

Grays Harbor PUD
Project Help
Customer contributions help pay for heating bills of families in need. This fuel-blind program will pay for all sources of heat — gas, oil, electric, wood, etc. The funds also assist low-income families with the deposit required for new PUD electric service. Coastal Community Action Program administers the program.
Please call: 360-533-5100 or 1-800-828-4883

Klickitat PUD
Operation Warm Heart
An emergency energy assistance program funded by gifts from PUD customers. Klickitat-Skamania Development Council screens applicants to ensure they meet income and other criteria.
Goldendale, 509-773-5891
White Salmon, 509-493-2255

Lewis County PUD
Project Share
Customer donations help low-income customers who are struggling to pay their electric bill. The PUD contracts with the Community Action Council for administration and distribution of the funds to qualified low-income residential customers.
Chehalis Office: 360-748-9261 or 1- 800-562-5612
Morton Office: 360-496-6100

Mason County PUD 3
Project Share
An assistance program that is a joint effort of PUD 3, the Community Action Council (CAC), churches, interested citizens, and PUD 3 customers. Its purpose is to assist needy customers with their electric bills.
Shelton: 360-426-8255
Elma to Shelton toll free: 360-482-4998
Belfair to Shelton toll free: 360-275-6518
Belfair PUD 3 office: 360-275-2833

Modern Electric Water Company
Project Share
Project Share is a community program funded by customer donations that provides emergency home heating for local needy families. By granting a one-time support, Project Share helps those in trouble long enough to get them back on their feet.

Okanogan Co. PUD
Project HELP
Community Action administers Project Help, a program to provide District customers the opportunity to voluntarily donate funds to assist needy families and individuals who are unable to pay their electric utility bills and cannot obtain help elsewhere. Project Help also provides funds to help secure utility deposits.
Okanogan 509-422-3310
Oroville 509-476-2928
Brewster 509-689-2502
Tonasket 509-486-2131

Orcas Power & Light Cooperative
Project PAL
Funded through member contributions, Project Pal helps members pay their winter heating bills. Fifty% of the  funds are designated for low-income seniors, 60 years or over, and disabled persons. The remaining 50% will be available to members who meet the established guidelines of the program. Recipients are asked to either reimburse the program once they are out of financial difficulty or to join Project PAL. An application form is available on the website.
Call 360-376-3500 or 360-376-3550 for more information.

Pacific County PUD
Warm Heart
Customer donations help needy customers pay their electric bills. This program helps customers who cannot get help elsewhere. The program is administered by The Ministerial Association in the north county area, and by FISH in the south county. 
Ministerial Association 360-942-3157
FISH 360-642-4987

Pend Oreille Public Utility District
Neighbors in Need
Funded by customer donations, recipients are usually families who have fallen on difficult times due to medical emergencies, unemployment or other reasons.
509-447-3137, TDD 1-800-833-6388

Peninsula Light Company
Project Help
Members donations provide assistance program for low-income families on the Gig Harbor and Key peninsula. The light company matches these donations dollar for dollar. Project Help is available to low-income families from November through April to help with high winter heating bills. Key Peninsula Community Services administers the program.

Puget Sound Energy
Warm Home Fund
Emergency utility-bill assistance which consists of voluntary contributions from PSE employees, customers, and shareholders. Qualified low-income families who face a possible loss of electric or natural gas service may receive assistance. Contact your local the Salvation Army.

Snohomish Co. PUD

Page last updated: November 24, 2015