FY 2015/2016 Low-Income Energy Programs
Federal | Utility | Charitable


LIHEAP Contact
Public Inquiries: 1-800-453-5511
Website: http://www.oregon.gov/ohcs/Pages/energy-weatherization-programs-oregon.aspx

LIHEAP Administering Agency Contacts

Weatherization Assistance Program
Local Administering Agency Contacts

LIHEAP FY 2016 Funding (including tribal awards)
$31,957,762 (Initial CR Release)

LIHEAP Income Eligibility Level
60% State Median Income
Weatherization: 200% Federal Poverty Guidelines

LIHEAP FY 2016 Benefit
Heating: $150 minimum, $1,050 maximum
Crisis: $500 maximum

LIHEAP Households Served in FY 2014
Heating: 64,799
Cooling: 0
Winter/Year-round Crisis: 6,426
Summer Crisis: 0

LIHEAP Program Dates
Heating: Year-round
Crisis: Year-round
Weatherization: Year-round


Low-Income Rate Assistance

Avista Utilities
A low-income rate assistance program funded by Avista customers. To find out if you qualify, please call your local community action agency.

Eugene Water & Electric Board

City of Ashland

Columbia River PUD
The Special Waiver Program
Waives the $7 monthly customer charge for families who meet the low-income requirements from the State of Oregon.
Email: custsvc@crpud.org

Emerald PUD
Provides $200, spread over four months with kick-off in March. While the priority is low-income seniors and disabled customers, at times there are funds available for other hardship situations. Funds are limited. Call EPUD, 541-746-1583, for a referral or call Lane County directly at 541-682-3378.

Northwest Natural Gas
Oregon Low Income Gas Assistance Program (OLGA)
This program provides heating assistance, energy education, and referral to other services. Assistance is permitted one-time per household per heating season. To be eligible, a household must be a current residential customer of NW Natural and the total household income must be at or below 60% of the state median income. If eligible, a client must schedule an appointment with a service coordinator. Documentation needed to prove eligibility is: proof of all monies received in the 30 days prior to the date of appointment; birth dates of all household members; most recent utility billing; and if their heat is included in the rent, a letter of verification from the landlord. Limited funds are available. To apply for services, or to obtain additional information, please contact your local CSC office:
Corvallis CSC, 541-752-2840
Albany CSC, 541-926-7163
Lebanon CSC, 541-451-4408
Newport CSC, 541-265-3293

Pacific Power
Oregon Energy Assistance Program
OEAP is funded by a state-mandated electric meter charge. This is a year-round assistance program funded by a state-mandated electric meter charge. All customers pay a monthly meter charge to support this program. To be eligible, you must meet income guidelines and priority is given to customers who may be in danger of disconnection. Locate a local agency to apply.

Portland General Electric
Oregon Energy Assistance Program
OEAP is funded by a state-mandated electric meter charge. This is a year-round assistance program funded by a state-mandated electric meter charge. All PGE customers pay a monthly meter charge to support this program. To be eligible, you must meet income guidelines and priority is given to customers who may be in danger of disconnection. Locate a local agency to apply.

Salem Electric
Winter Heating Assistance Program
Available to members whose household income does not exceed the income guidelines and whose main heating source is electricity. Priority is given to seniors (age 60 and over) and disabled persons (those receiving or having applied for monetary benefits for their disability). Seniors and disabled persons may begin applying in December, all others apply in January. Home visits are available for seniors and disabled persons.
503 362-3601

Low-Income Energy Efficiency

Portland General Electric
Community Energy Project
Helps low-income senior citizens and persons with disabilities conserve energy in their homes. PGE provided seed money to help launch the Community Energy Project years ago and continues to financially support CEP through grants that are used to purchase weatherizing materials. CEP also holds weatherization workshops and provides attendees with water-conserving showerheads and compact fluorescent light bulbs.

Columbia River PUD
Low-Income Weatherization Assistance Program
Provides weatherization services at no cost to households at or below 60% of Oregon's median income, whose primary source of space heating is electricity. Weatherization measures include upgrading insulation levels in attics, walls and floors, sealing ductwork, wrapping water pipes and replacing windows.
503-366-5470 or email: experts@crpud.org

Emerald PUD

Eugene Water & Electric Board
Customer Care Plus
Designed to help income-eligible customers save energy and manage their utility bills. Qualifying customers have access to a menu of services including weatherization (increasing levels of insulation and sealing buildings against air leaks), appliance upgrades or replacements, energy conservation education, and heating system inspections and improvements. To apply visit one of the following agencies and fill out an application:

Mail applications to: Lane County Human Services Commission, 125 East Eighth Avenue, Eugene, OR 97401. Call Lane County Human Services Commission for more information at 682-3378.

Idaho Power
Idaho Power provides financial assistance to Idaho and Oregon Community Action Partnership (CAP) agencies to help cover the cost for weatherization of electrically heated homes of qualified customers.
Baker County, call 541-963-3186
Harney and Malheur Counties, call 541-573-6024

Lane Electric Cooperative
Members who qualify for low income funds (LIEAP qualified) are eligible for a grant of up to $1,500 for qualifying weatherization measures in their home. This opportunity is available to single or multi-family residences provided some permanently installed electric heat exists in the dwelling. (Property owners of rentals will need to make a 50% contribution to any project.) Eligible measures include: ceiling, floor, and wall insulation, HVAC duct insulation & sealing, door and window caulking & weatherstripping, and general air sealing.

Northwest Natural Gas
Oregon Low Income Energy Efficiency (OLIEE)
This program assists low-income customers by reducing their natural gas needs through the installation of energy efficient equipment and weatherization measures. The program is applicable to qualifying low income customers who own or rent gas heated single-family or multifamily dwellings. For more information contact your local community action agency.

Salem Electric
Residential customers (homeowners and renters) with permanently-installed electric heat whose household income does not exceed the income guidelines may qualify for free weatherization. Eligible measures include: ceiling, floor, wall, and duct insulation, caulking and weatherstripping, and air sealing improvements. Incentives for window replacements are also available.
503 362-3601

Emergency Charitable Assistance

Please note these charitable funds are last resort emergency funds with limited resources and limited times of operation.

HEAT Oregon
A statewide fund designed to prevent disconnection of utility service during inclement weather by providing bill payment assistance to low-income households in emergency situations. HEAT Oregon works with social service and other agencies across the state to screen requests for assistance from customers of Pacific Power, PGE and West Oregon Electric Cooperative.
Find a local contact for assistance.

Avista Utilities
Project Share
A community program supported by shareholders, customers and employees. The funds are forwarded to community action agencies, which work with each family. Grants are available to those in need without regard to their heating source. Contact your local community action agency.

Blachly-Lane County Cooperative Electric Association
Blachly-Lane Energy Share (BLES)
The program is designed to offer assistance to members who do not not qualify for other types of relief. The Salvation Army administers the program.

Canby Utility Board
Energy Assistance Program
Customers with a 24 hour disconnect notice may apply for funds once per year for over-due electric bills. Maximum payments are $150.
503- 266-1156

Cascade Natural Gas
Winter Help
Because of illness, loss of employment or other crises, some households have difficulty paying their heating bills. Funded through donations from Cascade Natural Gas customers, Winter Help funds are designed to help customers with temporary heating emergencies.
Contact local agency.

Central Electric Cooperative
Project Helping Hand
Funded by CEC members to help needy customers with their electric bills when they encounter overwhelming financial difficulties.
Bend 541-389-1980
Redmond 541-548-2144
Sisters 541-549-5698
Prineville 541-447-5321
Madras 541-475-3266
Email Customer Service customerservice@cec-co.com

Central Lincoln People's Utility District
SOS Program
Contributions from customers are turned over to local service agencies for distribution to PUD customers who need assistance with their electric bills. Please email questions.

City of Ashland
Heat and Roundup
One-time help for customers, based on need and availability of funds. Maximum bill credit of $160.

City of Cascade Locks
Energy Assistance Program
Applicants are eligible for one payment per heating season of $150. Eligibility is determined by LIEAP income guidelines.
541-374-8484 x15

City of Gresham
Utility Customer Assistance Fund
A program to assist water, sewer, and stormwater customers with bill payments. Income eligibility is 150 percent of the federal poverty level or exceptions may be granted for extenuating circumstances.

Clatskanie People’s Utility District
Share the Warmth Fund
The fund is run by the P.U.D. through the Community Action Team which will qualify families that need assistance. All donations will go to families in the P.U.D.'s service area.

Columbia River Public Utility District
GLOW (Give Light, Offer Warmth)
The fund is used to provide families with emergency bill paying assistance. GLOW is funded entirely through customer contributions and employee fundraisers.

Coos-Curry Electric Cooperative
Round-Up Program
Customer contributions are used to help qualifying individuals pay their electric bills. Members in need of assistance should contact Community Action.

Emerald PUD
Helping Hand
This program is funded entirely by contributions from EPUD customers. Funds are available starting in February and are first-come first-served. There are no waiting lists. If you are approved, a one-time grant of up to $200 is credited to your electric bill. Contact EPUD for more information at 541-746-1583 or customerservice@epud.org

Eugene Water & Electric Board
Customer Care
Provides financial aid for qualifying low-income customers. Customers-in-need may be eligible to receive up to $200 in bill assistance per year, which is credited directly to their EWEB account. To apply for aid, customers first must schedule an appointment by calling one of the numbers listed below:
St. Vincent de Paul Society: 461-8794
Celeste Campbell Senior Center: 682-5354 (for customers 60 years and older)
Catholic Community Services: 747-8349 (for customers living in the Springfield/McKenzie area)

Hood River Electric Cooperative
Customers Helping Customers
Contributions are available to customers who have not received LIEAP funds during the current winter.

McMinnville Water & Light
Customers Helping Customers
A program to help needy families with energy assistance that is funded by customer contributions. Individuals interested in applying for Energy Assistance benefits may do so at St. Vincent DePaul of McMinnville.

Midstate Electric Cooperative
Operation Roundup®
Funds are allocated for many types of worthy projects in Midstate's service area in Deschutes, Klamath and Lake Counties. Operation Roundup® is administered by the Midstate Electric Charitable Trust, a committee of directors from Midstate's service area that serves on a voluntary basis. Guidelines for awarding this money address special needs for individuals as well as community educational and charitable projects. To apply for grants contact:
Shelley Miesen
Executive Secretary
email: smiesen@midstateelectric.coop

Monmouth Power & Light
Customers needing assistance are referred to Community Action. Income qualified customers, at 150% of poverty guidelines, can receive complete payment of their utility bill or have their utility deposit paid.

Northwest Natural Gas
Gas Assistance Program (GAP)
GAP collects funds from NW Natural shareholders, employees, customers and other businesses to help pay the heating bills of families and elderly residents in the Northwest who experience difficulty in making ends meet. Local community action agencies screen limited and fixed income individuals and families for eligibility and disperse the funds.
Community Action Agencies

Oregon Trail Power & Light
Once per year assistance for any heating source, reconnect fees, deposits or some portion of arrearage. Customers must be at or below 60% state median income and have received LIEAP, if available.
Baker City 523-3616
Burns 573-2666
John Day 575-0161
La Grande 963-3155

Springfield Utility Board
Project Share
Applications for financial assistance are accepted during the winter season (November 1 - April 30). Catholic Community Services, which administers the program for SUB, will help with the application process.

Tillamook PUD
Customer Assistance Program
Customer contributions are matched by Tillamook and administered by Community Action Resource Enterprise (CARE, Inc.) and Senior Service and People with Disabilities.

Umatilla Electric Cooperative
A customer-assistance program that allows members to help other members stay warm in the winter. UCARE provides financial assistance to members who have trouble paying their heating bills. It is supported by member contributions, which are matched by UEC.
Hermiston 541-567-6414, Boardman 541-481-2220 or 1-800-452-227

Page last updated: November 9, 2015