FY 2015/2016 Low-Income Energy Programs
Federal | Utility | Charitable


LIHEAP Contact
Website: www.dss.mo.gov/fsd/liheap.htm

LIHEAP Administering Agency Contacts
Local Administering Agency Contacts

Weatherization Assistance Program
Local Administering Agency Contacts

LIHEAP FY 2016 Funding
$65,661,727 (Initial CR Release)

LIHEAP Income Eligibility Level
135% Federal Poverty Level
Weatherization: 200% Federal Poverty Guidelines

LIHEAP FY 2016 Benefit
Heating: $45 minimum, $450 maximum
Winter Crisis: $800 max., Summer Crisis: $300 max.

LIHEAP Households Served in FY 2014
Heating: 140,234
Cooling: 0
Winter/Year-round Crisis: 47,821
Summer Crisis: 24,432

LIHEAP Program Dates
Heating: November 1 - March 31 (starts October 1 for seniors and disabled)
Crisis: Year-round
Weatherization: Year-round


Low-Income Rate Assistance

Ameren Missouri
Keeping Current
Eligible customers (up to 135% of poverty) will receive credits on their bills during the heating and/or cooling season if they remain current with payments. Selected energy-assistance organizations that distribute Dollar More funds will also help determine which customers qualify to enroll in "Keeping Current." Customers interested in this assistance should contact a Dollar More agency for information at http://dollarmore.ameren.com/.

Empire District Electric Company
Empire's Action to Support the Elderly (EASE)
Provides late fee and deposit waivers for elderly (age 60 and older) and handicapped customers.
417-624-0300 or 1-800-206-2300

Kansas City Power & Light
Economic Relief Program
This program provides a monthly credit of $50 to individuals and seniors who qualify. For more information, contact the local Salvation Army at (877) 566-2769, Ext. 416.

Independence Power & Light Department
Independence Rate Assistance Program (IRAP)
Qualified elderly, 60 years or older, or disabled customers pay 50% of the electric charges on their bill. Contact the Community Services League.

Low-Income Energy Efficiency

Ameren Missouri

Community Services League
Offers assistance to qualified people, including senior citizens, who want to make such home improvements as adding weather stripping around doors and windows, adding insulation, etc.

Laclede Gas Company
EnergySmart – Customer Education Program
Offers free workshops on energy conservation for small groups of low-income customers through government agencies, civic organizations and churches. Laclede will conduct workshops, supply informational materials and answer questions.

Missouri Public Service (MPS)
Low-income weatherization funding is distributed to community action agencies in the MPS territory. Eligibility: at least 125% of poverty level with either site-built or mobile home. Measures include: compact fluorescent lights; tank and pipe wrap; low-flow showerheads; kitchen aerators; attic, wall, and floor insulation; and duct repair. All work will be contracted out through low-income agencies.
Green Hills CAA, Trenton, 660-359-3907
Dept. of Housing and Community Development Kansas City, 816-513-3015
Missouri Valley CAA, Marshall, 660-886-7476
West Central Missouri CAA, Appleton City, 1-660-476-2185
816-467-3254 or 1-888-567-0799 for more information

Emergency Charitable Assistance

Please note these charitable funds are last resort emergency funds with limited resources and limited times of operation.

A utility assistance program for the elderly and disabled, low-income households and for those, because of unexpected expenses such as a birth or death in the family, find themselves unable to pay. HeatShare provides payments toward electricity, natural gas, propane, fuel oil or wood bills. Grants may be available for emergency repairs to furnaces, air conditioners, hot water heaters and other energy related equipment or for repairs to broken windows and doors.

Heat-Up St. Louis
Provides energy assistance grants ranging from $100 to $600 to qualified applicants. Heat-Up St. Louis Inc. is a regional, all-volunteer charity that focuses on helping elderly, disabled and low-income people with their delinquent energy bills. Help is available in St. Louis and the following counties:

St. Louis City Salvation Army 314-646-3000
  St. Vincent Depaul 314-531-7837
  HDC 314-613-2200
  Urban League 314-615-3600
St. Louis County CAA 314-863-0015
  Urban League 314-388-9840
St. Charles County NECAC 636-272-3477
Lincoln County NECAC 636-528-7604
Jefferson County Salvation Army 636-464-0787
Franklin County Loving Hearts 636-390-8300
St. Clair County Urban League 618-274-1150
Madison County Urban League 618-463-1906
St. Clair County & Southern Illinois Catholic Urban Programs 618-398-5616
Butler County SCMEOC 573-325-4255
St. Genevieve, Iron & Madison Co's EMAA 573-431-5191

Energy Care
Provides a variety of services for low-income seniors (60+), people living with chronic illnesses and disabilities, and families with children under five. Services include heaters and blankets in winter, air conditioners in summer, furnace/HVAC repairs, home weatherization and repair services, and utility assistance (as funding is available). EnergyCare's service area is the City of St. Louis and St. Louis County (Missouri). Specific eligibility criteria apply for many services. For more information please visit www.energycare.org or call 314-773-5900.

Ameren Missouri
Dollar More
Helps the needy pay their energy bills and is funded by voluntary contributions from Ameren Missouri customers and Ameren Corporation. Money donated to Dollar More is used to pay a wide variety of home energy bills including electric, gas, oil and propane. Contributions go to the needy through a network of human services agencies. Please find contact information for your loca agency at: http://dollarmore.ameren.com/

Atmos Energy
Sharing the Warmth
Customer donations combine with company donations to help people pay their gas bills. All donations go directly to local people in need that meet criteria established by each individual program's guidelines. To contact the energy assistance agency in your area visit www.atmosenergy.com/faq/eaa.html

Boone County
The Health Department administers two utility assistance programs for Boone County residents:

  1. H.E.L.P. (Heat Energy and Light Program)
    Provides one-time emergency assistance to low-income families with young children in the home

  2. C.A.S.H. (Citizens Assisting Seniors and Handicapped)
    Provides emergency assistance to low-income senior citizens and persons with disabilities

City Utilities
Project Share
A community supported utility assistance program for City Utilities of Springfield customers. Program runs January through May. Applicants must meet income guidelines, however deduction for medical expenses will be considered.
Contact your local Neighborhood Center:
Barry County, 417-847-2140
Christian County, 417-581-7631
Dade County, 417-637-2701
Dallas County, 417-345-7964
Greene County, 417-447-0554
Lawrence County, 417-678-5031
Polk County, 417-326-6276
Stone County, 417-272-8508
Taney County, 417-239-1882
Webster County, 417-859-4589

Co-Mo Electric Cooperative
Operation Roundup
Customer donations assist will pay for such things as food, shelter, clothing and health care. Donations will also be made to community services like rescue squads and ambulance districts and scholarships. Applications are available at either Co-Mo office or customers can apply for assistance online.

Crawford Electric Cooperative
Operation Round up
Money raised from customer donations will pay for such things as food, shelter, clothing and health care for needy individuals. Download an application for assistance. Contact us to request an application.

Cuivre River Electric Cooperative
Operation Roundup
The goal is to help individuals, families and communities address needs that cannot be met with other resources. Grants cannot be used to pay electric bills but are allowed for home weatherization, medical needs and other emergencies, The deadline for applications for individuals and families is the last day of each month. An application is available on the website.
636-327-5282, 441-7410, 528-8261 or 1-800-392-3709

Empire District Electric Company
Project Help
Extends a helping hand to needy senior citizens and handicapped persons. Funds may be used to pay electric, gas and propane bills for heating and cooling or to help winterize homes. The program is administered by the Red Cross who screens applicants and provides relief where the need is greatest.
800-923-2483 or 417-781-0352

Independence Power & Light Department
Provides assistance in paying electric, water or gas utility bills. Contact the Community Services League.

Intercounty Electric Cooperative Association
Operation Roundup
This program helps individuals, families and locally based community organizations within the Intercounty service territory. Funds can be used for personal and home needs such as medical bills and equipment, emergency home repairs and other approved needs.

Jackson County Energy Assistance
Funds may be used for:  natural, artificial or propane gas;  electricity ;  wood, coal or fuel oil or water. Applicant must be a resident of Jackson County. Priority is given to any eligible applicant who is: head of household that includes children;  sixty years of age or older; or disabled, under guidelines published by state or federal government. Please call United Way 2-1-1 for energy assistance referrals.

Kansas City Power & Light
Dollar Aide
Customer donations help people in need pay their utility bills year-round, regardless of whether they use electricity, natural gas, propane or fuel oil. KCP&L matches $1 for every $1 contribution. Dollar-Aide funds are administered by the Mid America Assistance Coalition (MAAC). Call United Services at 211 for assistance.

Laclede Electric Cooperative
Operation Round Up
Customer donations assist individuals and organizations in the community.

Laclede Gas Company
Dollar-Help, Inc. (DHI)
DHI partners with Laclede Gas Company to provide funds to low-income, elderly and disabled households.Grants are awarded on an as-needed basis by local social-service agencies when all public funds for energy assistance have been exhausted.
Contact local social service agency

Missouri Gas Energy
Customers who are in need of financial assistance with home heating bills may contact United Way 2-1-1. Trained professionals are available 24/7 at no cost. All information is confidential. If using a mobile phone in the Kansas City metropolitan area, call (816) 474-5112. In all other areas call (800)427-4626

North Central Missouri Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Caring Co-op Neighbors
A customer-funded program to assist NCMEC members who are victims of fire, natural disaster, medical emergency, accident, battering or meet other eligibility requirements. Members in need can receive up to $2,500 assistance annually. Apply through the Green Hills Community Action Agency or the Missouri Division of Family Services.
660-265-4404 or 1-800-279-2264

Osage Valley Electric Cooperative, Assn.
Operation Round Up
This customer donation fund is designed to alleviate some of the desperate human situations resulting from natural disasters like tornadoes or floods, extraordinary emergencies like fires or explosions, mental illness or physical disability, the sudden loss of income, the lack of education or from domestic violence.
660-679-3131 or 1-800-889-6832

White River Valley Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Operation Round Up
Member donations are awarded to local families and organizations toward basic needs such as food, shelter, clothing, health care and education. An application is available on the website.
417-335-9335 or 1-800-879-405

Page last updated: November 24, 2015